I miss eggs and bacon tremendously, but do I really have to miss out?! I surprised myself today by creating my first vegan version of the typical fried eggs and smoky bacon breakfast. This morning, I had a meander through my fridge and kitchen cupboards with nothing but a sparse collection of random ingredients suitable for a lazy dinner to bear witness to. Tofu and tempeh were amongst that lot, but these ingredients are habitually incorporated into my meals smothered in something saucy and served with rice or other such accompaniments.
A couple of slices of stale bread and an empty jar of peanut butter was a sorry sight that I was also exposed to this morn. That bread had to be eaten. How I longed for a soft boiled egg to dip that toast into and a salty, smoked bacon slice to give it some company. Maybe this could work. Soft tofu pretty much has the texture of cooked egg white. Tempeh smells a bit raw-meaty. Some salt and oil and a dollop of ketchup to the mix, surely something good is bound to come out of it.
First attempt at vegan fried eggs and bacon. Pretty darn good.
Ingredients for the bacon:
- 200g tempeh sliced thinly into strips
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil to fry
Ingredients for the egg:
- 400g firm tofu
- 6 tbsp vegan nacho cheese
- Oil to fry
- Mix the syrup, oil, paprika and salt.
- Brush the tempeh slices with the marinade and fry for 1 minute either side.
- For the egg, cut the tofu into 6 slices.
- Fry on either side before removing from the frying pan.
- Using a melon scoop, carefully scoop out a small round from the centre of the tofu slice, ensuring not to pierce all the way through.
- Spoon the nacho cheese into each groove made in the centre of the tofu.
Get some buttered toast and ketchup ready and top with the sunny side up eggs and bacon and serve with your morning coffee.
Big thanks to Mary’s Test Kitchen for her inspiration for the fried eggs! Check out her recipe here: http://www.marystestkitchen.com/vegan-fried-egg-sandwich-recipe/
If you’d like to learn how to make the filling for my fried egg, you can grab the nacho cheese recipe here: https://foodflaneur.com/2018/09/02/curry-calzone-with-chilli-cheese-vegan/