There’s something very meaty about mushrooms and I’m going to make the most of their meat factor, starting with this vegan mushroom minced meat right here, right now. It’s evident from the myriad of recipes out there, that eating vegan doesn’t mean limiting yourself. It means thinking outside of the box and if anything, actually expanding your horizons in the conventional world of food as we know it.
I’d also like to point out that, having lived in China for a number of years, I’m well aware Chinese people consume mushrooms for their multifunctional effects when used as medicines, not just for food. A commonly assumed function of fungi is their anti-aging abilities, not sure how evidence-backed that is, but maybe it explains why everyone there looks so young!
On that note, here’s the recipe for your anti-aging miracle, vegan mushroom minced meat.
- 100g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 75g walnuts
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soybean paste
- 50g textured soy protein
- ½ tsp smoked salt
- 1 tbsp yeast flakes
- Soak the mushrooms in boiling water for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and place in a food processor along with the walnuts.
- Blitz in a blender into coarse pieces roughly the size of minced meat bits.
- Place into a large bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly with your hands.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer-friendly vessel/bag and freeze overnight.
- Remove from the freezer and thaw before using it to cook as you would with ordinary minced meat.
I shallow fried mine with some onions, garlic and fresh herbs and made a bolognese sauce. However, you can also add the mince to other recipes for a bit of nutritional or textural bulk. It seems like you’re a mushroom fan so maybe give these meaty mushrooms on toast a go too: https://foodflaneur.com/2018/12/18/meaty-mushrooms-on-toast-vegan-gluten-free/ I’d like to give a massive thanks to Dr Hazel Wallace for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version in the form of a chilli here: https://thefoodmedic.co.uk/2019/01/mushroom-mince-chilli/ .