When you’re in the mood for pie, there’s nothing but pie that can successfully satisfy that craving. Well today that changed. Kind of. Mainly because of these super cakey protein-rich pumpkin pie protein balls which are vegan, completely free of flour, grains, gluten and refined sugars and filled with nothing but yummy, nourishing goodness. And guess what…just 6 ingredients- say whaaaaaat!
I don’t normally put water-rich ingredients in my protein balls mainly to extend shelf-life and to store them without needing a fridge, but TBF these are meant to taste more like pie and tend to get eaten up faster than you can say pumpkin pie protein ball (though that is a bit of a mouthful to say!).
These are perfect for any occasion whether it be Christmas, thanksgiving, the gym, out and about, chilling at home…the list could go on – basically you just need to make them!
Makes 25 balls
- 4 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 150g walnuts
- 150g pitted dates
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 7 tbsp almond flour
- In a food processor, add the dates and blitz until a ball forms. Remove and set aside.
- Place the walnuts, cinnamon and allspice in the blender and blitz into a coarse powder.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, dates and walnut powder and work ingredients together using hands.
- Slowly add the almond flour, a tablespoon at a time whilst forming into a smooth dough. It should get drier with the addition of the almond flour.
- Shape into roughly 25 balls and refrigerate.
You can also coat in coconut shreds or an icing sugar glaze if your cake craving is hardcore!
Since you’re here, I know something else you might like. My super healthy carrot cake. Grab the recipe on this link and make away: https://foodflaneur.com/2019/07/02/carrot-cake-vegan-gluten-free-sugar-free-2/
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Minimalist Baker for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version made with carrots instead of pumpkin here: https://minimalistbaker.com/no-bake-carrot-cake-bites/