Also goes by the name cinder toffee, this honeycomb crunch is a golden, heavenly bubbly delight. Basically the filling of the infamous Cadbury’s Crunchie, this vegan, gluten-free, light and crispy candy is perfect to nibble on, gift to your friends, or just generally keep in the house as an emergency sugar supply.
The addition of baking soda makes it a magical mix and instantly forms brown caramel into golden clouds filled with bubbles, giving this honeycomb crunch it’s light, crispy, airy exture. It truly is a delight to watch this process in action and sure gives you the satisfaction that you can only get from seeing your cake rise or your typically delayed train showing up on time on a cold winters day.
Makes 5 large shards
- 150g sugar
- 4tbsp syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a saucepan, add the sugar and syrup and allow to come to the boil.
- When this combo turns into brown caramel, remove from the heat.
- Quickly add in the baking soda whilst mixing with a whisk.
- Pour out immediately onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Allow to cool before smashing or breaking into shards (or smaller pieces if you fancy).
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place and dip into it as and when you wish.
If you dig candy then I have a much healthier version here using dates and nuts: https://foodflaneur.com/2019/04/16/date-candy-vegan-gluten-free/
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Nigella Lawson for her inspiration in helping me create this ‘hokey pokey’. You can find her version here: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/hokey-pokey.