Okay, so it’s not really those shrooms I may have led you to believe, but believe me when I say this magic mushroom toast really does taste magical! Golden brown with bits of crispiness and softness running through then crunchy buttered toast bursting with super savoury umami-ness and a peppery kick. A pile of cream cheese on top wouldn’t go amiss either so dollop a bit on if you fancy.
It takes only 15 minutes to make and is extremely easy to double in size if you’re massively hungry or have guests, so what are you waiting for?!
- 300g selection of mushrooms (chestnut, oyster, enoki, button etc) sliced
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil then throw in the mushrooms.
- Pan fry until mushrooms brown and become tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients and fry a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on a slice of proper crunchy toast.
You can also throw in some firm tofu or extra yeast flakes into this magic mushroom toast for that added umami flavour, protein and textural diversity.
If you’re the sort of person never to say no to a pile of mushrooms in your face, you’re bound to love this mushroom gravy and mash recipe. Here’s the link so go make it! https://foodflaneur.com/2019/04/06/marmite-and-meaty-mushroom-gravy-vegan-gluten-free/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Dana Velden for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version at TheKitchn: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-for-any-meal-mushrooms-on-toast-177630.