The most phallic, naughty-but-nice fruit (well actually a berry if we’re being technical here) of them all is commonplace around the world – the banana. Providing around 100 kcal per portion, this starchy crop is a wonderful hungry-tummy filler. It is also equipped with plenty of nutrients such as potassium, a mineral that is essential in the synthesis of sexual hormones- so it’s suggestive shape is quite fitting! These hot salted caramel bananas will definitely satisfy your sugar craving.
This recipe is very much like a banana flambé but the alcohol has been replaced with salty caramel- sounds like my kind of version! If it sounds like yours too, then go make one for yourself using the easy recipe below, which uses just 4 ingredients and takes around 10 minutes to rustle up.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Slice bananas in half lengthways and then in half again across the middle (each banana should now be cut into 4 pieces).
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan and add the banana slices.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until soft and golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and leave aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil and sugar and heat.
- Once the sugar has dissolved and the caramel is bubbling, mix in the salt.
- Add the bananas carefully back in and coat in the caramel then remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Why not add a dollop or two of ice cream and a handful of chocolate chips to your hot salted caramel bananas if you fancy pushing the boat out?!
I also managed to squeeze bananas into burritos – banoffee pie style! If you fancy eating one, go make it! Here’s the recipe: https://foodflaneur.com/2018/09/15/banoffee-pie-burritos/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Ricardo Cuisine for their inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find their version here: https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/3875-banana-flambe-with-cinnamon.