Fluffy Oatmeal Pancakes
I’ve attempted this recipe before, but the issue with oats is, as soon as they’re exposed to liquid, they start to become this sticky stodge at which point it’s too late to change texture and it must now be eaten this way! With these pancakes, the speed at which you use the mixture and the addition of baking powder works wonders.
I have to admit, I made the below recipe three times, and out of the three, two of them were perfect and the other one not so perfect. I have no idea why, maybe I didn’t whisk the batter enough or the pan wasn’t hot enough, I just don’t know! I experimented using milk, buttermilk, flax egg and each version varied from the last. The one below was the best mix of all but it may take you a few tries to get the pancakes super fluffy as it did with me, but it is possible and it’s awesome!
- 150g oat flour
- 250ml milk + 1 tsp lemon juice/vinegar
- 1 flax egg/egg replacement
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Splash of oil to cook (optional)
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Next, combine all wet ingredients and then whisk them into the dry.
- Heat a tad oil in a frying pan then ladle in the pancake batter, one scoop at a time.
- Allow to cook around 3 minutes, at which there should be bubbles at the surface of the batter.
- Flip over to the other side and leave another 3 minutes (maybe a little less/longer depending on your pan, heat, ladle size etc).
- Remove from the heat and continue until all batter has been used up.
Pile up in a big stack and drizzle with maple syrup. I also added some caramelised cinnamon apples to mine and bananas and nuts to my boyfriend’s stack.
I also made another version of oatmeal pancakes – fudge brownie ones. Come on, how tempting is that?! Here’s the recipe link- you know you want a pile of these babies! https://foodflaneur.com/2019/03/24/chocolate-brownie-pancakes-with-peanut-butter-and-choc-sauce-vegan-gluten-free/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Chocolate Covered Katie, for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version here: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/05/oatmeal-pancakes/.