This aubergine lasagne is grain free and so simple to rustle up. I love that it’s no hassle. For me lasagne always implies laborious chopping, complex layering, various sauce-making and to be frank, it prevented me from actually even wanting to make the stuff! As delicious as it is, I rarely make this dish, which is a real shame. Not any more!
Today I realised that lasagne can be makeshift layers of a number of things that taste good enough together. If they stack nicely on top of one another then even better. This recipe came about because I just had so many aubergines piling up in the fridge which needed to be used up. In combination with having no lasagne sheets, aubergines were a great replacement with their smushy texture and neutral taste. I also didn’t have much milk (just enough for porridge!) so a cheese sauce wasn’t an option either. I did however have cashews so a cheese out of those would be the ideal alternative.
So with all improvised ingredients prepped I was ready to go.
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 6 large tomatoes chopped into wedges or large chunks
- 2 red bell peppers cut in large chunks
- 250g dried green/brown lentils
- 3 large aubergines cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- Rapeseed oil to cook
Ingredients for cheese:
- 100g cashews soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 100ml unsweetened plant milk
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200℃.
- For the cheese, add all ingredients to a blender, blitz and leave aside in the fridge.
- Boil the lentils in a saucepan or slow cooker and then simmer for 30 minutes. When cooked, drain and leave aside.
- For the filling, lightly brush aubergine discs with a little oil then place on a flat baking tray to cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping over halfway. Remove and leave aside.
- In another dish or tray, add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, peppers and herbs, drizzle with oil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before adding to a blender and blitzing into a smooth creamy tomato sauce.
- Add the lentils to the tomato sauce and mix to incorporate well.
- In a deep baking dish, add a third of the lentil tomato sauce mix and cover with a layer of aubergine discs.
- Continue the layering another 2 times or until mix and aubergines are finished.
- Scoop cheese on top, a spoonful at a time.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes to cook through.
- Remove and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Now you’re ready to tuck in. you can always add more veggies, more aubergine discs, even some lasagne sheets if you miss those – fully customisable as you see fit!
As there’s a super-size helping of aubergine in this dish, you’re obviously as obsessed as me! If this is one of your fave veggies, you might enjoy this recipe for my aubergine curry: https://foodflaneur.com/2019/04/06/curry-night-tacos-aubergine-curry-vegan-gluten-free/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Caitlin at From My Bowl, for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version here: https://frommybowl.com/vegan-eggplant-lasagna/.