It’s in almost every coffee shop these days in latte form, but today, I bring you a protein ball form – the Golden Milk Bites, which taste much better in my opinion! I was never a keen lover of turmeric and its strong earthy flavour, but in this recipe, sweet fragrant cardamom and coconut do a good job in masking it’s flavour without reducing any of its nutritional benefits.
These are fudgy, soft, rich and flavoursome. Not just that, but they’re also vegan, gluten-free, grain-free and contain no refined sugar. And no cooking required, result!
Makes 20 balls
- 200g dessicated coconut
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water
- optional: sub 80g coconut with 80g neutral/vanilla protein powder
- Combine dry ingredients and blitz in blender until crumbly paste forms.
- Add the wet ingredients and continue to blend until all ingredients well incorporated.
- Lay a tbsp at a time on a tray lined with greaseproof paper and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.
These golden milk bites are great just as a snack, as a dessert and also make for the perfect post-gym bite.
If you’re a fan of energy balls, you might want to try my pumpkin pie protein balls https://foodflaneur.com/2019/12/13/pumpkin-pie-protein-balls/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Minimalist Baker for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version here: https://minimalistbaker.com/5-ingredient-golden-milk-snack-bites/.