This rich, creamy, spicy Indian tofu curry really enables you to make the most of your spice cupboard. It tastes delish too of course! The thick tomato gravy that drenches each piece of tofu is so flavoursome you won’t believe it’s just plain old simple firm tofu.
Indian curries are one of my top fave cuisines so I’ve made sure to get this genre of recipes spot on! Creamy roasted aubergines and peppers add texture to the spiced tomato base. The humongous quantity of onions and garlic form the flavour base, and there really has to be a lot! The tofu gives us that protein – lightly pan frying it from every angle just makes it more delicious and adds to the diversity of textures packed into this one pot curry.
All that’s needed is a bowl of fragrant basmati rice and some fluffy naan bread to make this tofu curry the perfect dinner or Friday night banquet!
- 4 red peppers
- 2 aubergines
- 3 onions thinly sliced
- 500g firm tofu cut in cubes
- 2 bulbs garlic crushed
- 4 knobs fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1-2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 finger chilli finely chopped
- Handful fresh coriander
- Rapeseed oil to cook
- Salt to taste
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add pieces of tofu one by one. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and leave aside.
- Brush the whole peppers and aubergines with a little oil and bake for 30 minutes at 220℃.
- When baked, remove skin from peppers and roughly chop both aubergine and peppers. Leave aside.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tsp oil and fry onions until brown (approx 20 minutes) on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook a further 5 minutes, adding a splash of water if necessary to avoid sticking.
- Add the tomatoes and another splash of water and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until tomatoes become tender.
- Add the tomato puree, cumin, turmeric and garam masala along with 100ml water and simmer a further 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the peppers and aubergine and cook another 5 minutes.
- Finely, gently add in the tofu pieces.
- Serve with the fresh coriander.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this tofu curry, feel free to mention me on Instagram @food_flaneur because I’d love to check out your pics.
If you love Indian Food…
Then you should definitely check out these recipes:
Swathis’s Recipes for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version here: https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/recipes/veg-curry/.