A cakey pie crust filled with bananas, vanilla custard, rich cream and fluffy, moist cake chunks – what a combo! This Vegan Banana Cream Pie is sick! I love how light and creamy this is. Perfect for the summer as it’s pretty refreshing and served chilled.
So what are you waiting for? The weather’s good, you’ve got the BBQ on outside and a few cocktails – this dessert is waiting to be eaten today!
Questions about Banana Cream Pie Cake
What is in banana cream pie cake? This is ultimately a pie crust made with cake rather than pastry filled with bananas, custard and cream.
Can I use whipped cream? It is absolutely fine to use whipped cream instead of the cashew cream. The cashew cream is a bit more dense than whipped cream but it’s all a matter of preference.
Can I use a different cake base? This is also okay. Just make sure it is firm enough to hold all of the fillings.
Vegan Banana Cream Pie Recipe
Ingredients for cake:
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp powder
- 100g brown/coconut sugar
- 1 banana mashed
- 100ml melted coconut oil
- 150ml plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the cream:
- 150g raw cashews (soak these overnight)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 80 ml full fat coconut milk (solid part)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
Ingredients for custard:
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch turmeric
- 450ml soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 bananas sliced lengthways
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- For the cake, combine all cake ingredients and beat until a smooth batter results.
- Transfer to a cake tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 40 minutes.
- When cooked, allow to cool before using a spoon to remove the inside of the cake, ensuring that at least 1cm of the base and edges remain.
- Roughly crumble the cake that was scooped out using hands to create large crumbs and leave aside.
- Line the base of the cake crust with the bananas and put aside.
- To make the cream, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Keep aside in the fridge.
- For the custard, add the cornstarch to a saucepan with a dash of milk to create a paste. Add the remaining ingredients and heat, but do not bring to a boil.
- Continue to stir constantly until custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon (around 15 minutes). Leave aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the custard into the cake crust on top of the bananas and leave to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove the cake and evenly spread the cashew cream on top.
- Finally, generously sprinkle with the cake crumbs.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this Banana Cream Pie Cake please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @foodflaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like cake…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Minimalist Baker for my food inspo. You can find their recipe her recipe here https://minimalistbaker.com/banana-cream-pie-vegan-gf/.
Recipes sent with Love