A crispy buttery baguette crust surrounding a moist fluffy middle, soaked in cinnamon vanilla milk and topped with succulent, sweet, apples and maple syrup. This Vegan French Toast with Cinnamon Apples is where it’s at! For a long time, I thought I couldn’t have French toast as a vegan, seems I was wrong! Just 7 ingredients and unbelievably vegan.
French toast brings back memories of childhood, sitting in the kitchen with my siblings, dipping ‘eggy bread’ in ketchup with our fingers, not afraid to eat until our stomachs exploded, whilst my mother stood at the stove making a limitless batch of the stuff.
I’m sure this recipe could taste just as good with ketchup, though given I’m a dessert fiend, I fancied sweetening it up.
Questions about Vegan French Toast with Cinnamon Apples
What is French toast? French toast is bread soaked in a mixture of milk and eggs which is then fried to yield a crispy yet moist-in-the-middle dessert type bread.
How to make Vegan French toast? To make vegan French toast, you need the basic ingredients which are typically bread, milk, egg replacer such as cornstarch and flavourings such as sugar, cinnamon etc. You then soak the bread in the milk mix and gently fry on each side in a hot frying pan.
How to make French Toast without eggs? French toast without the use of eggs is indeed possible. However, using just milk has not been adequate in my experience. Replacing the eggs with something like cornstarch or flax meal to thicken up the milk and give it a more binding property gives a mixture that resembles the real stuff.
Which bread can I use to make French Toast? Ultimately, any bread can be used. However a more stale one is better as it yields a less soggy middle.
Vegan French Toast Recipe
- Half French baguette cut into slices
- 350 ml plant milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp flaxmeal
- 1 large apple diced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Oil to cook
- In a saucepan, add the apples with a dash of water and cook for 8-10 minutes until tender then remove from heat and put aside.
- In a bowl, mix milk, flaxmeal, cornstarch and cinnamon until well incorporated.
- Soak bread in milk mixture for a couple of minutes, turning over to ensure the whole sliced is coated.
- Heat a tad oil in a frying pan then add the bread slices to the oil.
- Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with apples and sugar (and some maple syrup if you wish) and serve.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this Vegan French Toast with Cinnamon Apples please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur– would love to see your pics!
If you like toast…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Nora Cooks for my food inspo. You can find her recipe here: https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-french-toast/.