Scrumptious, golden, brown sugar cookie bars topped with sweet, smushy apples and crispy, buttery crumbles – the ultimate Vegan Apple Crumble Cookie Bars. You can never have too many versions of apple crumble, and in my opinion, adding a cookie to the mix just makes it all the more better!
For some absurd reason, I’ve recently been experiencing cake fatigue and seemed to have moved on to biscuits. Crunchy, chewy, crumbly, crispy – I don’t mind, as long as the physical attributes include one of the above, I’m down! Not sure where my cakey mood’s gone, but wherever it is, I hope it comes back soon!
Hence much of my sweet tooth cooking in the last couple of weeks has utilised cookies in some way or another – hope you’re enjoying it as much as me!
Questions about Apple Crumble Bars
How do you make vegan apple crumble from scratch? Apple crumble is made of apples, flour, sugar and butter. The apples are placed in a baking dish either raw or cooked, in puree, slice or chunk form. The flour, sugar and fat are combined to achieve a breadcrumb-like texture. This is then sprinkled over the apples and baked for at least 30 minutes.
How long can you keep apple crumble bars? Although apple crumble cookies bars are best eaten on the day, they can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days. Storing outside of the fridge is also fine as long as it’s not a hot, humid summers day.
Can you reheat apple crumble? Apple crumble cookie bars can be reheated within 2 days of being made but should be eaten straight after and not re-stored. The texture may also change slightly after this.
Apple Crumble Bars Recipe
Makes 10 bars
Ingredients for base:
- 50 ml rapeseed oil
- 100g brown sugar
- 25 ml plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 180g plain flour
Ingredients for topping:
- 4 large apples peeled and chopped
- 100g plain flour
- 50g brown/coconut sugar
- 60g coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- For the apple filling, add the apples to a saucepan with a dash of water and simmer for 10-15 minutes until soft. Mash with a fork or in a blender until a coarse puree is achieved and leave aside.
- For the crumble, add the coconut oil to the flour and work with finger tips until the mixture resembles a coarse breadcrumb-like texture.
- Fold in the sugar.
- Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and set aside.
- For the cookie, combine all wet ingredients and mix with a fork.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and continue to mix into a dough, but do not over beat.
- Press down into a rectangular/square cake tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven (but leave oven switched on) and add the apple puree to the still-hot cookie.
- Return back to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix on top and slice into bars.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at these Vegan Apple Crumble Bars please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like apple crumble…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
A Couple Cooks for my food inspo. You can find her recipe here: https://www.acouplecooks.com/apple-crumble-vegan-gluten-free/.