These vegan Baked Doughnuts are so irresistible. By the way, please excuse the heavy backlog of recipes I have yet to post…I really should start writing everything up whilst/before I cook to make life easier. I would also like to be frank and confess that these last few days, I really haven’t been arsed with anything other than Peaky Blinders and until I’ve binge watched all five series’ I can only apologise that my concentration will be heavily focussed on the thug life of Thomas Shelby rather than my blog- I’m sure that’s quite understandable!
Anyway, I will leave you with the recipe for these donuts, of which should you consume enough, could be adequate to achieve one of your five portions of fruit allocated to each day (though a workout will be required either post or pre consumption to be rid of the excess calories).
Luckily for those health-conscious peeps out there, these little cuties are baked rather than fried so not all bad
Makes 20 donuts
Ingredients for baked doughnuts:
- 150g plain flour
- 150g sugar
- 1tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 300ml soya milk
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 3tbsp rapeseed oil plus extra for greasing
- 1tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for doughnut toppings:
- 150g icing sugar
- 2tbsp soya milk
- 1/4 tsp orange oil
- Pinch turmeric
- Candied oranges (optional)
- ¼ tsp beetroot juice (or other pink food colour)
- Freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 apple sliced thinly
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 1tsp rapeseed oil
- 50g dark chocolate
- 50ml almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the donuts, add the lemon juice to the soya milk and then combine with the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Mix all dry ingredients together and then combine with the wet.
- Mix until a thick batter results.
- Pour into donut moulds before baking in the oven for 15 minutes then leave to cool.
- For the glazes, stir the milk into the icing sugar with a fork and then divide into 3 parts.
- Into one part mix in the turmeric and orange oil, into another mix in the beetroot juice and leave the remaining part as it is.
- For the toffee apples, place on a baking tray and sprinkle with sugar and oil and bake for 15 minutes at 180C.
- For the chocolate glaze, melt the chocolate with the almond milk to get a rich, creamy chocolate sauce.
- Assemble all glazes and toppings onto the cooled donuts and serve.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at these doughnuts please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!