This is the ultimate Black Bean Burrito. A spicy, fragrant black bean stew stuffed into a soft tortilla wrap alongside creamy pumpkin slaw, steamed greens, quinoa and a herby tahini Caesar sauce.
A nourishing wrap that is packed full of protein and a whole range of vitamins and minerals and diverse mix of textures and flavours, it’s the go to dish for any time. Perfect for prepping in advance too if you don’t like to cook on the day but would rather have lunch ready the night before to just grab and go the next morning.
Completely vegan and gluten-free (although you’ll need to check that your wrap as most contain tortilla wraps tend to contain gluten), bonus.
Questions about Black Bean Burrito
What is in a black bean burrito? A burrito is a Mexican dish usually consisting of a soft flour tortilla wrap that is filled with a range of fillings ranging from bean stews to fried fish, alongside sides such as guacamole, cheese and salad.
How to make black bean burritos? To make black bean burritos you will need ingredients for the black bean stew, tahini sauce and the other burrito fillings plus the tortilla wrap to make the black bean stew, you will need onions, garlic, tomato puree, oil water, paprika, chilli, cumin, black beans and coriander. These ingredients will be simmered until a creamy, fragrant stew is ready. For the tahini sauce you will need tahini, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, mixed herbs and milk. These ingredients will be blitzed into a smooth cream in the blender. For the other burrito fillings, you will need to steam the spinach until tender and combine the pumpkin with the mayonnaise to make the pumpkin slaw. All components can then be assembled into the tortilla wrap.
Are bean burritos vegan? Bean burritos can be vegan if they do not contain animal products. The bean stew can easily be made vegan but other fillings such as cheese may not be so check before you buy. This recipe is completely free of animal produce.
Are burritos healthy? Burritos can be healthy, totally depends on what you fill them with. Healthy also doesn’t always mean low calorie since there are plenty of foods that are quite energy dense but extremely nourishing at the same time. This wrap would be considered healthy due to the density of various nutrients it contains. Depending on how much mayonnaise and tahini sauce you add to the mix, the calories can be higher or lower. The other fillings wouldn’t be considered high calorie or energy-dense.
Black Bean Burrito Recipe
Ingredients for black bean stew:
- 400g cooked black beans (1 can)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 finger chilli (optional)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 120 ml water
- Handful fresh coriander
Ingredients for tahini Caesar dressing:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 150 ml plant milk
- 85 ml tahini
- ½ tsp salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
Other vegan burrito fillings:
- 200g spinach
- 200g cooked spinach
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 250g cooked quinoa
- 4 large tortilla wraps
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the black bean stew recipe, fry the onion and garlic in the hot oil for 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except coriander) and simmer for 10-15 minutes (adding more water if necessary to avoid sticking).
- Remove from heat and stir in coriander and set aside.
- For the tahini Caesar dressing recipe, add all ingredients (except mixed herbs) to a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Add a little more milk if you prefer it a little more runny or omit some if you like it a bit thicker.
- For the remaining vegan burrito fillings, steam the spinach with a tad salt and keep aside and combine the mayonnaise with the pumpkin for the pumpkin slaw.
- Assemble all ingredients into tortilla wraps, adding a little more tahini drizzle on top before serving or using as a dip.
Made this Black Bean Burrito?
If you had a go at this Black Bean Burrito please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you liked this Black Bean Burrito …
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Loving it Vegan for my food inspo. You can find her recipe here: https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-burrito/.