This Blackforest Cheesecake is creamy, crumbly, chocolatey and jammmy, as well as being vegan. There really is something quite extraordinary about cherries paired with chocolate and since it’s not often I get to eat cherries, I thought I’d eat them how I see fit, which is obviously with some chocolate!
I’m not really an oreo fan, but as a biscuit base, especially when you’re feeling lazy, it works pretty well with its dense, yet smooth and crumbly crunch.
In regards to the cherries, as much as they’re great fresh, I really wanted to go for a proper ‘shop-bought’ style cheesecake so I made a jelly-like jam to top it off which gave the whole pudding a multitude of textures to excite every tastebud.
Blackforest Cheesecake Recipe
Ingredients for Blackforest Cheesecake:
- 300g oreos crushed
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 100g cashews soaked overnight or for 1 hour in hot water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml coconut cream
- 250g cherries stoned
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp agar agar
- 250ml water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a saucepan, heat the oil before mixing in the crushed oreos.
- Line a tin or pie dish with the oreo mix, pressing firmly into the edges of the dish.
- Keep aside in the refrigerator.
- In a blender, add the cashews, coconut sugar, syrup, vanilla extract and coconut cream and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into the biscuit base and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- In a saucepan, dissolve the agar into water before bringing to a boil.
- Add the cherries, sugar, almond extract, lemon juice and 3 tbsp water and cook for 15 minutes or until cherries have softened.
- Dissolve the agar into the water before pouring into the saucepan with the cherries.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cool slightly before pouring over the cheesecake.
- Refrigerate for a further 1-2 hours.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this cheesecake, please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like cheesecake …
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Little Sweet Baker for their inspiration in helping me to create this recipe. You can find their version here.