These vegan Buckwheat Galettes are made with just 3 ingredients and are insanely delicious. The cheesy mushroom filling has a few more ingredients but still super simple to rustle up. Of course it had to be the French that gave the humble pancake a sexy name! A galette basically refers to a buckwheat pancake that is often accompanied by a savoury filling/topping.
I never really buy buckwheat flour and this time round it was unintentional. Of course being in China, most foods are labelled with mandarin text which is impossible for me to read so I usually buy a bunch of random stuff and send photos to Chinese friends who reveal what these unknown foods are to me. On this occasion, one of those items happened to be buckwheat flour!
I hit a chef’s block (not that I consider myself a chef but it works well with the writer’s block term!) and couldn’t really think of what to make. This being combined with my lack of enthusiasm to invest time into synthesising a more laborious dish really was far from appealing. Pancakes were perfect. Mushrooms were getting to that extra fungal stage which was a sign to use them up asap! Oh before you go, I do have a basic Vegan Crepe recipe if you just prefer regular pancakes.
These Buckwheat Galettes are…
- Made with buckwheat flour
If you like these Buckwheat Galettes…
Save for Later
If you don’t have time to make this recipe now, click on any image on this page to add it to your Pinterest list and make it later. Fancy more inspo? Come see me on Pinterest for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert ideas.
- 100 g buckwheat flour
- 300 ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Oil to pan fry
- Cheesy Mushroom Filling
- 250 g mushrooms sliced
- 150 g cashews soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes
- 60 ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp fermented tofu
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard
- Oil to fry
- For the crepes, combine all ingredients together into a runny batter then fry lightly for 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until golden on both sides.
- For the filling, all ingredients except the mushrooms into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pan fry the mushrooms until softened then stir in the cheese sauce, allowing to heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon into the pancake and fold over the edges before serving.
Made these Buckwheat Galettes?
If you had a go at this recipe, be sure to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur so I don’t miss out on your creations and give your post some love!