These Chocolate Pancakes are literally like eating brownies.
This time I made sure to have all ingredients ready as last year, the last minute shop was a disaster. It seems everyone in England puts some hardcore importance on this day (AKA shrove Tuesday), probably because of Lent where they give up most of the good stuff, commonly chocolate, fried food, cake and alike. So this is their day to binge, what a great excuse right?!
These pancakes actually utilise oat flour instead of the usual wheat type which is traditionally used so I guess a last minute shop wouldn’t be so bad because if the wheat flour’s out, you’ve now got your plan B sorted. Oat flour though, it’s kind of at the bottom of the flour hierarchy in terms of taste. Wheat flour is like a blank canvas. You can transform it into anything and will forget that it is actually the main ingredient. Oat flour on the other hand, it’s pretty arrogant. It wants to be the centre of attention so its flavour is quite overpowering in comparison.
Not that this is a bad thing, but I didn’t want to feel like I was having my usual porridge breakfast so I added chocolate. And if that wasn’t enough, I drowned it with a peanut butter chocolate sauce. Take that oats!
Chocolate Pancakes Recipe
Ingredients for chocolate pancakes:
- 150g oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250ml soya milk
- 40g sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 80g cocoa powder
- Oil to griddle
Ingredients for vegan chocolate sauce:
- 500ml plant milk
- 80g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- For the sauce, combine ingredients and heat in a pan until a smooth liquid and leave aside.
- For the pancakes, add the lemon juice to the soya milk until curdled.
- In a mixing bowl, place other ingredients then whisk in the curdled soya milk until a smooth batter in achieved.
- In a pan with a small amount of hot oil, place the batter 1 tbsp at a time and cook until bubbles start to form on the top, for around 2 minutes.
- Flip over for a further minute and serve.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at these pancakes, please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like pancakes …
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Bakerita for their inspiration in helping me to create this recipe. You can find their version here.