Since everyone loves cinnamon buns, I thought I’d turn them into a healthy vegan, gluten-free breakfast in the form of Cinnamon Bun Cake! So nutritious. I think the answer to that is nobody! And who would like these for breakfast more than anything else in the world?! Ok cool, so that’s what I’ve sorted out. A big-ass cake version enough to last the week (or a day if you fancy it for breakfast, dessert and tea breaks) which is unbelievably healthy but doesn’t in the slightest taste like it is.
Even the creamy frosting is dairy-free (though not so low fat so be warned). Soft, fluffy yet dense (if that makes any sense- I think it doesn’t so just try it and make that conclusion for yourself!), delicately spiced, mildly sweet perfect with that sticky, sweet vanilla sauce and an excellent choice for whichever meal or time of day you go for.
So without much ado, here’s the recipe…
Cinnamon Bun Cake Recipe
Ingredients for cinnamon bun cake:
- 150g raisins
- 100g chopped dates
- 50g almonds
- 50g walnuts
- 200ml soya milk + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 60ml maple syrup
- 100g tapioca starch
- 100g cassava flour
- 100g oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for vegan frosting:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp stevia
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 250 ml plant milk
- Soak the dates in water overnight then drain.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the cake, beat all ingredients (except fruit and nuts) to achieve a smooth, stiff batter.
- Fold in the nuts and fruit and pour into a cake tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- For the frosting, make a paste with the corn starch and plant milk before combining all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Pour on top of the cake and serve.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this cake, please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like cake…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Ambitious Kitchen for their inspiration in helping me to create this recipe. You can find their version here.