The reason I’ve given these vegan mince pie crumbles a crumbly top is because a) crumble is the don and b) I’m not actually good at ensuring the pastry case and the pastry top cook at the same time. Either the top is too brown and the case is perfect or the case is too soggy but the top is perfect. Don’t really want to take that risk on Christmas day and since I don’t fancy making another batch of mincemeat I need to ration it! Hence the making of my mince pie crumbles.
I’ve also made it much easier for myself so that each component will be cooked in advance and all I need to do is put all bits together to make the full thing, kind of like a bed from IIkea. But unlike Ikea furniture, these mince pie crumbles are crispy, crumbly, fruit, buttery, tangy and sweet. Put that together and what have you got?! Vegan mince pie crumbles!
Ingredients for mincemeat:
- 250g raisins
- 100g sultanas
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g candied peel
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 chopped apple
- 150ml hot water
Ingredients for pastry case:
- 400g plain flour
- 200g vegan spread
- 50ml milk
Ingredients for crumble top:
- 165g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g vegan spread
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the mincemeat, soak the raisins, sultanas and dried cranberries in the hot water for at least 2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients and leave for another hour.
- Place half the mixture in a food processor and blitz roughly for a few seconds.
- Add back to the rest of the mincemeat and leave aside.
- For the pastry case, combine the flour and vegan spread with fingertips until breadcrumb-like.
- Slowly add the milk whilst mixing with a blunt knife until it resembles a dough.
- Form dough into one big piece, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and roll out on floured surface until 0.5 cm thick.
- Using a 9cm cookie cutter, cut out circles and line a greased cupcake tin with these.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and leave aside.
- . Repeat until all pastry has been used up.
- For the crumble topping, using fingertips, combine spread and flour until breadcrumbs,
- Fold in the sugar.
- Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and cook until golden, around 15 minutes.
- When ready to eat, place a spoonful of mincemeat in the pastry case and give a generous sprinkle of crumble on top.
- Place in the oven for a few minutes if you would like it hot.
Serve these mince pie crumbles with brandy butter, cream or hot custard and defo a glass of mulled wine. If you want to push the boat out, you can add brandy or rum to your mincemeat when soaking the dried fruit.
Looking for more Christmas recipe inspo? You can get more recipes on the blog, just type ‘christmas’ in the search tab and look away! https://foodflaneur.com/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Virtual Vegan for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version here: https://avirtualvegan.com/vegan-mince-pies/