This German Mole Cake is formed of a cakey pie crust filled with bananas, vanilla custard, rich cream and fluffy, moist cake chunks – what a combo! It’s kind of like a banana cream pie, but vegan – sick! I love how light and creamy this is. Perfect for the summer as it’s pretty refreshing and served chilled.
So what are you waiting for? The weather’s good, you’ve got the BBQ on outside and a few cocktails – this dessert is waiting to be eaten today!
Questions about Mole Cake
What is mole cake? Mole cake is a German dessert that is made up of a sponge cake shell which has been filled with slices of banana, custard and whipped cream. The inside of the cake is scooped out to make room for the filling and the part of cake that has been removed is made into crumbs or chunks and sprinkled on the top in the final step of preparation.
How to make Mole Cake? To make mole cake you will need to whisk together, plant milk, lemon juice or vinegar, plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, coconut sugar, mashed banana, coconut oil and vanilla extract. When a smooth batter is achieved, bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Once cooled, scoop out the insides, ensuring that an adequate crust remains for the base and edges. Crumble the insides of the cake into large crumbs and chunks and leave aside for later. For the custard, heat plant milk with cornstarch, turmeric, sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to heat until the mixture thicken and coats the back of the spoon. Line the inside of the cake base with bananas sliced in half lengthways the pour on the custard. Place in the fridge. In the mean time add pre-soaked cashews, coconut milk and maple syrup to a blender and blitz into a smooth cream. Place in the fridge alongside the cake and allow to cool for 1 hour. Once cooled, carefully spread the cream on top of the set custard and sprinkle with the cake crumbs.
Can I use whipped cream instead of cashew cream? It is absolutely fine to use whipped cream instead of the cashew cream. The cashew cream is a bit more dense than whipped cream but it’s all a matter of preference.
Can I use a different cake base? This is also okay. Just make sure it is firm enough to hold all of the fillings.
Mole Cake Recipe
Ingredients for mole cake:
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 100g brown/coconut sugar
- 1 banana mashed
- 100ml melted coconut oil
- 150ml plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for cashew cream:
- 150g raw cashews (soak these overnight)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 80 ml full fat coconut milk (solid part)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
Ingredients for vegan custard:
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch turmeric
- 450ml soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for mole cake filling:
- 3 bananas sliced lengthways
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- For the cake, combine all cake ingredients and beat until a smooth batter results.
- Transfer to a cake tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 40 minutes.
- When cooked, allow to cool before using a spoon to remove the inside of the cake, ensuring that at least 1cm of the base and edges remain.
- Roughly crumble the cake that was scooped out using hands to create large crumbs and leave aside.
- Line the base of the cake crust with the bananas and put aside.
- For the custard, add the cornstarch to a saucepan with a dash of milk to create a paste. Add the remaining ingredients and heat, but do not bring to a boil.
- Continue to stir constantly until custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon (around 15 minutes). Leave aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the custard into the cake crust on top of the bananas and leave to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the cream, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Keep aside in the fridge also for 1 hour.
- Remove the cake and evenly spread the cashew cream on top.
- Finally, generously sprinkle with the cake crumbs.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this Mole Cake please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like cake…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Minimalist Baker for my food inspo. You can find their recipe her recipe here https://minimalistbaker.com/banana-cream-pie-vegan-gf/.
Recipes sent with Love