Gingerbread is just soooo Christmas and easy to love but it’s also not the most simple to make. Actually I had Germany’s version of gingerbread AKA lebkuchen from my BF’s parents which tasted nothing like the gingerbread cookies I’m used to in England, kind of nicer actually! These ultimate no-bake gingerbread cookies bear more of a resemblance to this tastier version, with their moist, chewy and warming ginger notes peaking through.
The difference between mine and the traditional version is that it’s way quicker to make, contains much fewer ingredients, requires no cooking whatsoever, is completely vegan and gluten-free and comes in convenient cookie form. The ultimate no-bake gingerbread cookies.
Makes 8-10 cookies
- 250g nut butter e.g almond, cashew
- 6-7 dates
- 250g oats
- 50ml maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Handful pecans
- In a food processor, blend the oats to a fine powder and leave aside.
- Add the dates to the processor and blitz into small chunks.
- In a saucepan heat the nut butter with the maple syrup and dates until all are well incorporated and runny.
- Remove from the heat and add the oat flour and mix into a smooth dough with hands.
- Form into 8-10 balls and slightly flatten.
- Gently press pecans into the tops.
And that’s it, they’re ready to eat immediately. Amazing whilst warm, but cooler ones are just as good, I’m simply a lover of that fresh-out-the-oven vibe!
If you’re a fan of the no-bake cookies, then you totally have to check out these peanut butter no-bake cookies https://foodflaneur.com/2019/12/13/no-bake-peanut-butter-cookies/.
I’d like to give a massive thanks to Ali from Gimme some Oven for her inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find her version here: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-cookies/.