Sweet and salty vegan Peanut Butter Mousse, drizzled generously with a decadent bittersweet chocolate ganache. With just 3 ingredients, this vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free treat ticks all the boxes. You can even use frozen aquafaba (leftover bean water from boiling) which has been defrosted, it makes absolutely no difference, same texture, same flavour and same level of deliciousness!
This combination beats any other in my books- just the words make me drool. This peanut butter mousse is light yet creamy and infused with salty peanut butter and maple syrup to give those sweet and salty notes. The rich ganache topping and crunchy peanut sprinkles are optional but give this dessert another dimension.
Questions about Peanut Butter Mousse
How to make Peanut Butter Mousse? To make Vegan Peanut Butter Mousse, you will need aquafaba, peanut butter and maple syrup. The chocolate ganache topping is optional, but if you would like to add this, the ingredients required are chocolate, plant milk and salted peanuts. For the mousse, using an electric whisk, whisk the aquafaba for at least 8 minutes until stiff and fluffy peaks are achieved. In a bowl or saucepan, heat the maple syrup and peanut butter until liquid. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes then slowly fold into the whipped aquafaba. Pour into glasses and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. For the ganache, heat the plant milk and stir in the chocolate chips. Continue to mix until chocolate has melted. Pour over the set mousse and sprinkle with salted peanuts and refrigerate another 1-2 hours.
Peanut Butter Mousse Substitutions
To sweeten the mousse, you can replace the maple syrup with 4 tbsp coconut sugar or stevia.
If you prefer another nut butter, such as almond, pistachio or cashew, in place of peanut butter that is absolutely fine. The flavour will differ slightly but the texture should not change.
The aquafaba can be replaced with full fat coconut milk if you prefer a more rich mousse.
This Peanut Butter Mousse is:
- Sweet and salty
- Refined sugar-free
Peanut Butter Mousse Recipe
Ingredients for vegan mousse:
- 150 ml aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 100g peanut butter
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
Ingredients for ganache (optional):
- 75g dark chocolate
- 100ml plant milk
- Handful salted peanuts
- Using an electric whisk, whip the aquafaba until stiff peaks form. If mixture moves, it needs to be whisked further until the bowl can be turned upside down without spilling out.
- Combine the peanut butter and maple syrup and gently heat in a saucepan until the mixture is liquid.
- Allow to cool slightly before gently folding into the aquafaba. Do not whisk as air should be retained. Just continue to gently mix until ingredients are fully incorporated. The aquafaba will become runny once combined with the peanut butter but that is normal.
- Pour into 5 small glasses and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- In a bowl, add the chocolate and plant milk and heat either in a double boiler or microwave until melted.
- When cooled slightly, pour over the set mousses and place back in the refrigerator for at least another hour.
- Sprinkle with salted peanuts and serve.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this Peanut Butter Mousse please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like peanut butter …
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Lazy Cat Kitchen for their inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find their version here: vegan peanut butter mousse.