These Pretzel Brownies are intensely chocolatey, rich, decadent and fudgy. The baking makes the pretzels on top toasty and crisp so imagine the combination of textures in your mouth – it’s literally like the most amazing combo ever.
These brownies are made using gluten-free oats (ground into flour) rather than wheat flour, and since there’s usually more chocolate than anything else in brownies, there’s no difference in taste whatsoever.
I don’t usually buy fat spreads so instead I used rapeseed oil and as its flavourless there’s no impact on flavour, nor texture for that matter. Actually if anything, they seem even more gooey and fudgy than when I’ve used fat spreads in the past, but maybe I’m biased! You can experiment for yourself.
Questions about Pretzel Brownies
How to make pretzel brownies? To make pretzel brownies, you need oil, sugar, chocolate, baking powder, vanilla extract, oat flour, flax eggs, milk, salt and pretzels. Except for the pretzels and salt, all ingredients and mixed together to form a smooth batter. When the batter is poured into a baking tin, the pretzel are lined on top before being baked. When cooked, the salt is sprinkled on and the brownie can be cut into chunks when it is cool.
Using oil in brownies? If using oil in brownies instead of butter or margarine or other fat spreads, it’s key to note that the oil should be flavourless to dominate the palette. The oil is used exactly as solid fat would be. As the oil is runny at room temperature you can also add less than if you were to add a spread.
Are pretzels gluten-free? Pretzels are not usually gluten-free. However there are certain brands that sell gluten-free pretzels, such as Glutino, Gratify Gluten Free, Glutino and Quinn Snacks.
Pretzel Brownies Recipe
Makes 16 chunks
Ingredients for pretzel brownies:
- 250 ml rapeseed oil
- 250g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g dark chocolate
- 2 flax eggs
- 120g cocoa powder
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tsp coarse salt crystals
- 30g crushed pretzels plus 16 pretzels
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- In a bowl mix the rapeseed oil, sugar, vanilla extract, flax eggs and milk.
- Melt the chocolate and fold into the mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated (this should look like thick melted chocolate).
- Fold in the crushed pretzels, oat flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Place into a square tin lined with greaseproof paper and neatly place the 16 pretzel on top in rows.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven (a toothpick should come out with a little batter that isn’t too runny).
- Sprinkle the salt on top.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting into chunks.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at these Pretzel Brownies please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like brownies…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Sina Mizrahi for my food inspo. You can find her recipe here: https://www.kosher.com/recipe/pretzel-brownies-1439.