These Quinoa Burgers are moist, crumbly, crisp, nutritious and delicious. Slap on the grill for your vegan BBQ, pan fry or bake in the oven – your choice. Either way, you should be eating one smothered in a heap of sauces alongside some fries (or a salad if you’re inclined that way!).
Questions about Quinoa Burgers
How to make quinoa burgers? To make these quinoa burgers, you will need cooked quinoa, cooked chickpeas and a few other bits and bobs for flavour and seasoning. The ingredients will be combined and smushed together to form a sticky mixture which will then be shaped into patties before being fried, grilled or baked to achieve a crispy, golden brown exterior.
What is quinoa? Quinoa is a grain that has been around for many years but recently gained more public attention. It has a pretty decent protein content, especially in comparison to other grains so can be eaten as a protein source as part of a vegan or vegetarian meal.
Is quinoa gluten-free? Quinoa is a gluten-free grain. However, be sure to check the labels, especially if you are sensitive, as it may be produced in the same factory or environment as other gluten-containing grains which may result in cross-contamintation.
Can couscous be used instead of quinoa? Instead of quinoa, similar textured grains such as couscous or millet can be used, though the nutritional composition of the final product will be different and may also contain gluten.
Quinoa Burgers Recipe
Makes 8 patties
Ingredients for quinoa burgers:
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 350g cooked quinoa
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 150g fresh spinach
- 1 tsp cumin
- Oil to cook
- Salt to taste
- In a saucepan, fry the onions and garlic with a dash of oil for arounf 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Add the spinach and cook a further 5 minutes until spinach has wilted (cook without the lid to let the water evaporate)
- Add the chickpeas to a blender along with the flax egg and blend to a coarse puree.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well to incorporate fully.
- Form into 8 balls, flattening them slightly to form patties.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry on each side for 8 minutes or until golden brown. (you can also spray or brush with oil and bake at 200℃ for 35 minutes).
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at these Quinoa Burgers, please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like burgers…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Fell Good Foodie for my food inspo. You can find their recipe here: https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/quinoa-patties/.