These Tofu Pancakes are flourless, gluten-free, vegan and so light, crisp and fluffy – I was super impressed as this was actually just an experiment! My fiance is a regular gym goer and requires a healthy dose of protein when and where possible which is why I decided to make protein pancakes but without the need to add protein powder.
Flour is not often my go-to protein, but it is when it’s soybean flour. I had no idea I could buy this stuff. It was actually an accidental purchase in a Chinese supermarket, which I had mistaken for millet flour and was surprised at the whopping protein content per 100g and realised then it was no ordinary grain. I had a Chinese friend translate and was later informed that I had in fact bought soybean flour.
I wasn’t really sure what to make and decided to keep it simple so went with pancakes- easiest things on the planet…the first one albeit, was not great. In fact it was terrible and I lost all hope when I tried turning it and the whole thing turned to mush. But as long as the pan is hot and there is adequate oil lining it then these should turn out beautifully.
Airy, bubbly, squidgy with slightly crisp edges, definitely a great post workout snack, breakfast, dessert or whatever you would ordinarily devour your pancakes with.
Tofu Pancakes Recipe
Makes 15 pancakes.
Ingredients for tofu pancakes:
- 200g chickpea flour / gram flour
- 400g silken tofu
- 500 ml plant milk
- Salt or sugar to taste
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Gradually mix in the water and milk ensuring to get rid of any lumps.
- Allow the mixture to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan (with some oil if necessary) and ladle in some of the batter. Tilt the pan in a circular motion to spread the mixture evenly so that the entire surface of the frying pan is covered.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Brush with a little milk as it starts to bubble to avoid the pancake from ripping.
- Flip carefully onto the other side and cook for another 2 minutes.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this pancakes, please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like pancakes…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Simple Vegan Blog for their inspiration in helping me to create this recipe. You can find their version here.