This Vegan Lasagne is grain free and so simple to rustle up. I love that it’s no hassle. For me lasagne always implies laborious chopping, complex layering, various sauce-making and to be frank, it prevented me from actually even wanting to make the stuff! As delicious as it is, I rarely make this dish, which is a real shame. Not any more!
Today I realised that lasagne can be makeshift layers of a number of things that taste good enough together. If they stack nicely on top of one another then even better. This recipe came about because I just had so many aubergines piling up in the fridge which needed to be used up.
In combination with having no lasagne sheets, aubergines were a great replacement with their smushy texture and neutral taste. I also didn’t have much milk (just enough for porridge!) so a cheese sauce wasn’t an option either. I did however have cashews so a cheese out of those would be the ideal alternative.
Questions about Vegan Lasagne
How to make vegan lasagne? To make vegan lasagne you will need onion, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, green or brown lentils, aubergines, mixed herbs, cashews, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and rapeseed oil.
For the vegan cheese, place cashews that have been soaked overnight or in boiling water for 1 hour, into a blender along with the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and salt. Blend into a smooth cream, transfer to a container or bowl and set aside in the fridge. For the filling, brush onions, garlic, tomatoes and peppers with a little oil and bake for 25 minutes in the oven. Remove and transfer to a blender with some salt and mixed herbs and blend to a smooth puree (you can leave it slight chunky if you prefer). Add sauce to cooked lentils and simmer 10 minutes, adding a little water if necessary. Slice the aubergine thinly, brush with oil and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway. When cooked, spoon a third of the lentil and tomato sauce into a baking dish or casserole dish, top with slices of aubergine and repeat until the aubergine and lentils have been used up. This should make around 3 layers. Add dollops of cashew cream cheese on top, drizzle with a dash of olive oil and bake for 30 minutes.
Vegan Lasagne Recipe
Ingredients for vegan lasagne:
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 6 large tomatoes chopped into wedges or large chunks
- 2 red bell peppers cut in large chunks
- 250g dried green/brown lentils
- 3 large aubergines cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- Rapeseed oil to cook
Ingredients for vegan cheese:
- 100g cashews soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 100ml unsweetened plant milk
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200℃.
- For the cheese, add all ingredients to a blender, blitz and leave aside in the fridge.
- Boil the lentils in a saucepan or slow cooker and then simmer for 30 minutes. When cooked, drain and leave aside.
- For the filling, lightly brush aubergine discs with a little oil then place on a flat baking tray to cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping over halfway. Remove and leave aside.
- In another dish or tray, add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, peppers and herbs, drizzle with oil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before adding to a blender and blitzing into a smooth creamy tomato sauce.
- Add the lentils to the tomato sauce and mix to incorporate well.
- In a deep baking dish, add a third of the lentil tomato sauce mix and cover with a layer of aubergine discs.
- Continue the layering another 2 times or until mix and aubergines are finished.
- Scoop cheese on top, a spoonful at a time.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes to cook through.
- Remove and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Now you’re ready to tuck in. you can always add more veggies, more aubergine discs, even some lasagne sheets if you miss those – fully customisable as you see fit!
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this vegan lasagne please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like lasagne …
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
From My Bowl for their inspiration in helping me create this recipe. You can find their version here.