This easy Vegan Pizza is made using the simplest vegan pizza dough ever, super effortless spinach pesto, easy roast tomatoes and a one-step garlicky tofu mozzarella.
The base is crisp and light, the pesto creamy and herby, the tomatoes sweet and tangy and the tofu mozzarella flavoursome as hell.
Questions about Vegan Pizza
How do you make Vegan Pizza? To make vegan pizza you will need to make the pizza base, the spread and the toppings. The dough is made using a basic mixture of yeast and flour which is left to prove before being kneaded and formed into a base. The pesto is made by blitzing a spinach, nuts and seasoning in a blender, which is then spread on top of the pizza base. The toppings are then added to the pizza base which will then be baked until golden and crispy.
How to make pizza dough To make pizza dough, flour, yeast, water, sugar and olive oil are required. The wet ingredients are combined to the dry ingredients to create a smooth dough. The dough is then left to prove (a process in which the yeast multiply using the sugar and starch as their energy source, enabling to dough to increase in size as a result of the carbon dioxide formed by the yeast) before being kneaded again and shaped into a circular pizza base.
How to make vegan pesto To make vegan pest, you will need spinach, olive oil, cashews, lemon juice, garlic and yeast flakes. All ingredients are transferred to a high speed blender to blitz into a coarse paste.
What vegan toppings can I add to pizza? Vegan toppings to add to pizza include vegetables such as tomatoes, aubergine, courgettes – which tend to taste better when oven roasted first – and pretty much any vegetable, nuts, such as roasted almonds, pistachios, cashews, pulses such as chickpeas, fresh herbs, faux meat, vegan cheese, tofu, pickles, chutney, fried onions – the list goes on!
Recipe for Vegan Pizza
Ingredients for pizza dough:
- 300g plain/bread flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for vegan spinach pesto:
- 500g spinach
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 75g cashews
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125 ml olive oil
Ingredients for vegan pizza toppings:
- 150g cherry tomatoes halved
- 150g firm tofu diced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Handful fresh basil
- For the pizza base dough, add all wet ingredients to a bowl followed by the dry.
- Mix into a dough and then knead until smooth for around 7 minutes.
- Place back in bowl covered in a little clingflim or damp tea towel and place in a warm place (around 45℃) for 1 hour.
- For the vegan pesto, add ingredients to a blender and blitz until a coarse, green paste results and leave aside.
- For the tofu mozzarella topping, add the garlic powder to the tofu and pan fry lightly then leave aside.
- Knead the dough again, on a lightly floured surface, for 5-7 minutes and then roll outwards using fingers into a large circle. Continue until a thin base results – in the case of any holws, just cover fold a little of the dough back on to this area and continue to form into base.
- Place onto a flat baking tray. Crimp slightly around the edges if you prefer a thicker rim.
- Using a spoon, add the pesto and rub evenly using the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle with the vegan pizza toppings (except basil) and bake in the oven at 220℃ for 15 minutes, until base is crisp.
- Sprinkle with basil just before serving.
Made this Vegan Pizza?
If you had a go at this Vegan Pizza please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like pizza…
You should definitely give these recipes a try:
Big Thanks to…
Earth of Maria for my food inspo. You can find their recipe here: https://earthofmaria.com/meatless-feast-vegan-pizza/.