Yeah I went there and had a Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding with custard for breakfast today. Because that’s just how I roll. No only joking, I definitely don’t roll that way, but I have managed to make this pudding worthy of being categorised as a suitable breakfast item (way better than the likes of Belvita and alike, which literally resemble blocks of sawdust, they should label them as a choking hazard).
And yes, it’s also one of your 5-a-day (a public health message we throw around in England where you’re supposed to consume at least five portions of fruits and veggies per day), a guideline that I have a slight – actually moderate, okay, in all honesty, high obsession with, to the point where I’ll even count portions on my fingers…that’s when people start walking away.
I pumped this up crazy with oats (there’s your porridge), served it up with a portion of toffee sauce (this is the fruit bit) and topped it with a whole load of custard (obv made with calcium-fortified plant milk) and if you’re one for protein you can shove in some protein powder or ground nuts and literally, Bob is your flipping uncle.
Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
Ingredients for sticky toffee pudding:
- 150g oat flour
- 100g almond flour
- 80 ml rapeseed oil
- 200ml milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125g coconut sugar
Ingredients for vegan toffee sauce:
- 25 medjool dates soaked for at least 3 hours
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 100ml almond milk
Ingredients for vegan custard:
- 1 litre sweetened soya/almond milk
- 3-4tbsp corn flour
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch turmeric
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the cake, whisk all ingredients together to attain a creamy, thick batter.
- Pour into a baking tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- For the toffee sauce, heat the milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Blend the dates to a smooth paste and add to the hot milk and combine until a rich golden toffee sauce results.
- For the custard, make a paste with 3-4tbsp milk and cornflour.
- Heat the milk with the remaining ingredients, then whisk in the paste before the milk reaches boiling point.
- Stir continuously on a medium heat until thickened to your liking.
- Pour the warm toffee sauce onto the cake, followed by the hot custard.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this recipe please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!
If you like Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding…
You should definitely give these recipes a try: