These gluten-free, vegan Trifle pots are layered with sweet apple sauce, smooth vanilla custard, whipped cream and a crispy crumb topping. Each layer is so light and creamy, it’s like heaven in a cup! A simple, easy and quick dessert.
Servings: 6 people
- 500 ml plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 g brown/coconut sugar
- 40 g cornstarch
- 60 ml water
- 75 g gluten-free flour
- 30 g coconut oil
- 1 tbsp brown/coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp vegan whipped cream
- 4-6 tbsp apple sauce
Layer 6 glasses with apple sauce and put aside.
For the custard, make a paste using the cornstarch and the water. Place into a saucepan with the milk and sugar and heat.
Continue to mix on a low heat until sugar has dissolved and custard has thickened so that it coats the back of the spoon, around 10 minutes.
Cool slightly before distributing evenly among the glasses on top of the apple sauce. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Using fingertips, mix the flour in a bowl with the oil to achieve breadcrumbs.
Stir in the sugar then add to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
Bake at 180℃ for 15 minutes, giving a mix halfway.
Smear/squirt the whipped cream on top of the custard and chill for another hour.
Sprinkle the crumble on top of the cream layer and serve.
- You can replace the apple puree layer with any fruits of your choice, as long as they are pureed. You can leave chunks for added texture or add additional fruit to the puree.
- The crumble topping can simply be omitted or replaced with crushed cookies or nuts, chocolate shavings etc
- For sweetening any of the layers, you can use maple syrup, coconut sugar, stevia – but coconut sugar will change the colour of the custard (as it did with mine)
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 358IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg