These 5-ingredient vegan Bao Buns are stuffed with a rich, sweet and sticky pulled mushroom filling that’s so easy to pull off! A perfect way to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Servings: 6 buns
- 2 king trumpet mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 60 ml gluten-free hoisin sauce
- Salt to taste
- 6 bao buns can be gluten-free
Preheat oven to 200℃.
Using a fork, shred the raw mushrooms into stringy threads, including the caps.
Add to a baking tray with smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Transfer to a pan with the hoisin sauce and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes on medium heat.
Stuff into bao buns and garnish with chives and sesame seeds.
- King trumpet mushrooms can be replaced with other mushrooms like portobello, chestnut, oyster etc – they will not resemble the same ‘pulled’ texture as king trumpet but will still work nicely.
- The pulled mushroom filling can be replaced with pulled jackfruit or banana blossom.
- Hoisin sauce can be replaced with plum sauce.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 550mg | Potassium: 27mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg